- Explain the importance of permeable surfaces in slowing down the water from precipitation or runoff, thus providing more time for decomposition of waste to occur.
- Prepare the experiment:
- Fill the first flowerpot with soil, the second with gravel, the third with sand, the fourth with grass with roots and soil, and leave the fifth flowerpot empty.Think about what kind of surfaces they represent in nature.
- Pour the same amount of water through each flower pot and measure the time of water passing through the material.
- Which material is holding back the water best? What can we learn from this?
- Imagine what happens with pollution in each of the cases!
Experiment and illustration adapted from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYwJzF1seg